Planning a Sleepover (for Parents)
It’s important to get it right. Here are some top tips for planning your sleepover.
GETTING IT RIGHT
- think about the numbers: we usually have an even number of kids, and only enough to fit in one bedroom. Just 4 kids is a great number, but of course you can go to 6 or 8 if you’re up to it.
- The kids will expect to go to sleep very late. After midnight is not unusual. So don’t expect to have them tucked up by 9pm.
- Your level of authority with the kids is likely to be quite low: they’ll tend to ignore requests for them to go to sleep, so bear that in mind!
WHERE TO SLEEP
- the kids will expect to sleep somewhere different. We’ve had sleepovers with plenty of beds, but the kids insisted on being on the floor. The beds are seen as too boring.
- make sure everyone brings their own sleeping bag, pillow, cuddly toy, and other kit. Of course they'll need pyjamas, and toothbrush. Have plenty of pillows and spare bedding available in case it’s needed.
- provide a few torches, and make sure nobody gets scared in the dark.
- ideally have the kids in a room a long way from your own bedroom so you can at least get some rest yourselves.
- make sure the kids know where the bathroom is, and that it is clearly lit.
- point out your own bedroom in case anybody gets scared.
SWEETS AND TREATS
- the best bit of a sleepover is often the sweets that come out for “midnight feast”.
- encourage the kids to bring their own sweets as that makes it more fun.
- you can provide treats and drinks too: just be carefully with spillages, and mess. You can quickly trash a bedroom with 6 kids and food in the dark!
- check out all our sleepover games, for a range of age groups. The kids will really enjoy playing these
- our kids always enjoy The Memory Game, Pass the Orange, The Malteser Game and many more
- try to avoid relying on too many gadgets like ipods, Nintendos, mobile phones. It’s much better to leave these outside the room.
Enjoy it, and look forward to the night you get to offload your own kids!
Switch Definitely sounds like fun but I'm not sure any...
Black Magic I go to fire camp YMCA camp I played this game ...
One Brown Bear 1 fat hen couple of ducks 3 brown bear 4 run...
5,000 If you get 5 2's on first roll, how many points...
Black Magic I got it right away
Piggly Wiggly No it can't unless you mean two sleeping bag hi...
Piggly Wiggly sounds really fun I'm going to do this for my p...
Boy Meets Girl it is awesome
Alphabet Bags I am throwing a surprise birthday party for my ...
Murder in the Dark v2 You should play it